The purposes of the Network of Illinois Educators of Spanish for Heritage Learners (NIESHL) are to improve the study and teaching of Spanish as a heritage language and its literature and culture at all levels of instruction.
We achieve our mission:
- by increasing professional competencies of teachers through education programs and in-service training;
- by providing a framework within which Illinois foreign language organizations can cooperate in improving the quality of teaching and learning;
- by keeping members informed of current issues and trends so they may become better educators;
- by encouraging excellence in education through public recognition of outstanding programs and individuals;
- by cooperating with regional, national, and international organizations and agencies whose purposes are compatible with those of NIESHL.